Sunday

My First Ami Doll

 Amigurumi (編みぐるみ, lit. crocheted or knitted stuffed toy) is the Japanese art ... the Japanese words ami, meaning crocheted or knitted, and nuigurumi, meaning ... that retains stuffing and does not allow the stuffing to show through the fabric. 

 

The inspiration to crochet my amigrumi doll came from clicking on websites behind Pinterest pins.  The dolls that I saw were crocheted in "skin" colors of yarn and had realistic eyes, mouth, ears and hair.  I chose not to crochet my "ami" realistically but to use an acrylic yarn from Red Heart in the color "Fruit Punch."  I learned how to crochet each component of the doll and then how to crochet her hair.  The body pieces weren't a surprise but the hair was one of those "why didn't I think of that" kind of thing.  Once the round head is crocheted (the hardest part) and body and the extremities use a big-eyed needle to put together.  With strands of yarn you attach the "hair" in a circular pattern around the head one strand at a time.  Then once all of the way around with the strands (think about how to put tassels at the end of a scarf) you bring them together to make a "ponytail."  It looks nice and oh so easy.  The doll I made could be personalized by creating the skin and hair to match a child you know.  I would love to share the website I found for this pattern but I cannot find it again.  No, not in my history either.  Sorry.  

Another surprising thing that happened was my dog, Kiwi, thinks that I made the Ami doll for her.  She has been begging me to give it to her.  I will make her one for her very own out of a natural cotton yarn, something better for pups to chew on.  I guess everybody is a fan of Amigurumi.  

Amigurumi Doll - she measures 14 inches long

Detail pictures of how to create the hair. 
 

No comments: